[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RS232 - PC -> router
 Date:  Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:59:24 +1000
I was reading recently talk on the subject of using RS232 cables to
interface handheld units to routers etc.
I now have a need to do exactly that. However I only posess a cable that has
male RS232 plugs on both ends... a null modem / laplink cable IIRC.
I was thinking I could replace one of the male sockets with a female sourced
from one of the many i have on the end of interface ribbon, taken from old
machines' COM ports.

My question is this:
Is the wiring the same? Am I likely to cook anything by wiring it up like
that?

I have precs for the following cable pinning setups, which is the cable
setup i need (PC to router) ?
-Straight DB25 Cable
-DB25 Null- modem or cross over cable (Async)
-DB25 Tail- circuit or cross over cable cable (Sync)
-DB25 to DB9 DTE - DCE cable
-DB9 Null- modem or cross over cable

Find love today with ninemsn personals. Click here:
http://ninemsn.match.com?referrer=hotmailtagline