[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  Andrew Eglington <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RS232 - PC -> router
 Date:  Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:18:00 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, Andrew Eglington said:

> I was reading recently talk on the subject of using RS232 cables to
> interface handheld units to routers etc. I now have a need to do exactly
> that. However I only posess a cable that has male RS232 plugs on both
> ends... a null modem / laplink cable IIRC. I was thinking I could
> replace one of the male sockets with a female sourced from one of the
> many i have on the end of interface ribbon, taken from old machines' COM
> ports.
>
> My question is this: Is the wiring the same? Am I likely to cook
> anything by wiring it up like that?
>
> I have precs for the following cable pinning setups, which is the cable
> setup i need (PC to router) ?
> -Straight DB25 Cable
> -DB25 Null- modem or cross over cable (Async)
> -DB25 Tail- circuit or cross over cable cable (Sync)
> -DB25 to DB9 DTE - DCE cable
> -DB9 Null- modem or cross over cable

you need a cross over (null modem) cable.

from pc to router you would need female on both ends of the cable to match
the male on the pc and the router.  or is your router serial connector
female?  if that's the case, you likely just need a straight-through
cable.  what do you have on your pc and router, 9 or 25?

or are you trying to re-wire one of your existing cables?

and it's unlikely you'll cook anything.  it just won't work.  but don't
take my word for it.

jj