[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  "Zadikem, Travis-taz" <tzadikem at picosecond dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Suggestion to the development team
 Date:  Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:21:12 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, Zadikem, Travis-taz said:

> Please try and get a .iso version of your product that does a full
> install to a hard drive.  This would be really helpful especially for
> the person at my satellite site who has a problem using gzcat and/or
> gunzip.  Basically, I would be looking for something like smoothwall
> and/or ipcop that you just put into a cdrom it boots, formats the drive,
> and then installs the product with a couple of questions.  The person
> could then reboot and get to the web interface and give me (external
> admin) rights to finish setting up their product.

yes that would be handy.  but, it's fairly easy to accomplish with just
the generic-pc image burned as a file onto a regular iso-9660 cd and a
linux boot floppy, like tom's rootboot: http://www.toms.net/rb/

boot the floppy
insert the cd
tom's rootboot contains all the tools you'll need:

# mount the cd if it's on IDE secondary master
mount /dev/hdc /mnt

# install the m0n0 image to the primary master
gunzip -c /mnt/generic-pc-1.0.img | dd bs=16k of=/dev/hda

# flush the cache
sync

# restart the system
# remove floppy and cd