[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "[|]" <lists at n0t dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  trouble connecting via pppoe
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:39:36 -0400
Hi,

Recently 3Mbit DSL service became available in my area. I currently the
regular 1.5Mbit service. The 3Mbit service is only available via pppoe
while my current service has a static IP address. To migrate my ISP they
would first switch my service to pppoe.. and then upgrade the service.
I was on the phone with a technician while they switched me to pppoe and
while I adjusted the settings of the wan interface of my m0n0wall.
I plugged in the username/password my ISP provided me.
However the m0n0wall could not establish a connection.

The log entries the m0n0wall made can be seen here:

http://n0t.net/m0n0wall.log.txt

The tech had me connect my laptop directly to the DSL modem, a Westel
Wirespeed  Model C90-36R516 Rev 8. I was able to establish a pppoe
connection from Windows XP on my laptop.
The tech suggested i get a new router (yeah right). I asked him to
switch me back to my static IP address while i would investigate what
the cause could be. He confirmed with me that the MTU for the pppoe
should be 1492.

I searched the mailing list archives for people with similar problems
and didn't come up with much. One post suggested to the user to make
sure his DSL modem is in some kind of bridge mode. But I don't think my
DSL modem can be managed or configured.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Axel