[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 To:  Peter Curran <peter at closeconsultants dot com>
 Cc:  Joey Morin <joeymorin at alumni dot uwaterloo dot ca>, Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OpenVPN support??
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:12:03 -0400
when CD buring the "keep session open" option really only allows you to
continue to add data to the CD not change existing data. For example you have
a 700mb CD-R but you only write 200mb to it. Closing the session ends the CD,
thats it, over. Keeping the session open will allow you to keep writing to the
CD until it is full.

the only way to manipulate and change files already on a burned CD is for it
to be a CD-RW.

But on the other hand it would be very simple to add "modules" to an ISO image
and re-burn it. Especially when a CD-R is like 20 cents these days.

Quoting Peter Curran <peter at closeconsultants dot com>:

> I am a bit out of my area here, but I think that multi-session CDs would not
>
> help much.  I think (But am happy to be told that I am wrong :-) that the
> mutli-session drivers only 'see' the last session.
>
> Although CD images are a bummer to play with, the same general issue applies
>
> to all versions of m0n0wall - how do you get modules into an otherwise
> standard m0n0 build?  I suspect that the answer to that question may point
> the way towards deploying the solution for CD's.
>
> Peter
>
> On Wednesday 16 June 2004 21:57, Joey Morin wrote:
> > This one time, at band camp, Peter Curran said:
> > > Well I must confess that I haven't even started to think about this
> > > properly, but one problem here is that the modules would have to be
> > > re-inserted every boot (given that most CD's are write-only).
> >
> > most burning software can burn an iso onto a cd as a session, leaving the
> > cd "open" for more sessions.  could not new modules be burned to
> > subsequent sessions?  of course the m0n0 kernel would have to support
> > muti-session cds... does it?  and a structure convention for those
> > extra sessions wouldn't hurt...
> >
> > jj
>

> --
> believed to be clean.