[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  zealot <zealot at tradersguild dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monitor Standby/Power Off Option?
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:58:04 -0500
Garrett wrote:

> Actually, they are.  Or at least as far as I know, as all the other OSes
> (couple Linux router distros, W2K Pro and W2K3 Server) I've had on this
> box placed the monitor in standby/power off mode without any additional
> config (in BIOS or OS) from me.  Does m0n0wall require a certain config?

Garrett,

 From a cursory read of
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/x84.html it
sounds as if m0n0wall/FreeBSD 4.9x may not reliably detect your BIOS
settings for power management. It doesn't help that power management is
inconsistent in different hardware (some work, some don't).

As the previous OS's on the current m0n0wall hardware seems to have been
able to turn off video, it's assumed that the bios is currently leaving
the power management up to the OS.

Since m0n0wall/freebsd isn't disabling video, change your bios settings
so that power management is NOT controlled by APM/ACPI.

Visit http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=7&var1=18 and
http://www.wimsbios.com/HTML1/power.html for an example of typical bios
settings for your hardware.