[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 Cc:  Peter Curran <peter at closeconsultants dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OpenVPN support??
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:11:33 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, Chet Harvey said:

> when CD buring the "keep session open" option really only allows you to
> continue to add data to the CD not change existing data. For example you
> have a 700mb CD-R but you only write 200mb to it. Closing the session
> ends the CD, thats it, over. Keeping the session open will allow you to
> keep writing to the CD until it is full.

nope.  a session can remain open, yes.  but this is different than keeping
the cd open.

if you leave a session open you can continue adding filex, but until you
close the session the iso-9660 filesystem is not completed and cannot be
read my most drivers (burning software can still access the data).
closing the session completes the process and finalizes the iso-9660 image
with all directory info.

even with a closed (aka "finalized") session, the cd can remain open and
additional sessions can be added.  an additional session can point to the
directory structure of iso-9660 images in prior sessions, in whole or in
part.

> the only way to manipulate and change files already on a burned CD is
> for it to be a CD-RW.

nope.  you can 'delete' or 'change' files on a cdr by adding another
session and removing the reference to the previous version of the file on
a prior session.

> But on the other hand it would be very simple to add "modules" to an ISO image
> and re-burn it. Especially when a CD-R is like 20 cents these days.

cds are cheap.  so yes.  but with the proper software, you can leave a cd
open and just add a session with the new modules, making sure you import
prior sessions.

since the monowall image is about 5MB, you can make multiple revisions to
it before you use up all the space on a 700MB disc.  lead-in for a disc is
about 20MB, inter-session gaps consume about 13MB, and lead-out for a
closed disc is about 20MB.  so even if you added a session that included a
whole new m0n0 image and some (hypothetical) modules, each new session
would take up about 20MB total (including inter-session gap).  so you
could modify a cdr about 35 times before you ran out of space.

jj