[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  J Moore <jaymo at cullmail dot com>
 Cc:  zealot <zealot at tradersguild dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Fatal trap 12 page fault
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:05:28 -0400
J Moore wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 03:54:48PM -0500, the unit calling itself zealot wrote:
>

>>Kevin R. Porter wrote:
>>

>>>I had the exact same symptoms with SanDisk 128MB "CF" cards...  the NET4801
>>>simply didn't like them, probably something to do with the BIOS and/or card
>>>geometry.
>>>
>>>Then I tried a Kingston 64MB "CF" card instead and it booted just fine.
>>>
>>>Note: M0n0wall is TINY, and would fit easily on an 8MB "CF" card if you
>>>could find them that small anymore, using a 1-GIG "CF" for M0n0wall is
>>>merely expensive for no benefit obtained IMHO.
>>>

>m0n0wall isn't all I'm using... I needed a large CF for another app.
>That being said, I don't recall seeing anything in the docs about a
>maximum size CF card - is there an upper limit?

Not documented, but there almost seems to be.

>>Jay,
>>
>>I don't know if Dinesh Nair's solution to a similar problem described at
>>http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=42&actionargs[]=26
>>applies to your situation. Read for details.
>>

>As I read this, he recommends using C-H-S sector addressing instead of
>Auto or LBA. I don't really grok that, but don't believe the Soekris
>BIOS gives you the option. A list of Soekris' comBIOS param's follows.

None of those options helped me at all on a normal PC setup.  A SANDISK
96MB wouldn't work no matter what I did, and I did it all.  Different
BIOS settings, using physdiskwrite in windows, then using Linux
instead.  Nothing worked.  Popped in a 20MB SANDISK, bam, worked first
try (although I did not try writing the 20MB SANDISK in windows because
I was sitting in front of my Linux box at that point).

>At this point, all I know to try is a different CF card.???

Worth a shot, and like I said above, a 20MB SANDISK worked perfectly in
a regular PC.

Chris