[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kevin R. Porter" <krp2 at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  "J Moore" <jaymo at cullmail dot com>, "zealot" <zealot at tradersguild dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Fatal trap 12 page fault
 Date:  Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:51:55 -0400
I have a total of four compact-flash cards on hand:

    Two SanDisk 128MB cards,
    one Kingston 64MB card, and
    one Kingston 128MB card.

To get M0n0wall loaded onto my Soekris NET4801, I use a Windows-XP
based laptop with a PCMCIA-to-CF adaptor and Manuel's "physdiskwrite"
utility to write the "net48xx-1.1b9.img" image file to the compact-flash
card,
then transfer the card to the Soekris.

To date, BOTH of the SanDisk 128MB cards have been tried (several times
each), and both fail identically, booting the FreeBSD kernel and crashing
with
the repeating

    "ad0: READ command timeout"...

error followed by  the fatal trap 12.

Both of the Kingston CF cards:  the 64MB *and* the 128MB card have
been tried and both boot successfully into M0n0wall.

Note: ALL FOUR of these compact-flash cards can be formatted by Windows
and data written to them and read back by the Windows-XP laptop without any
errors detected by XP.    None of them appear to be defective in any way.

Yet, the SanDisk 128MB cards both fail to boot into M0n0wall, in exactly the
same
way each time they are tried, and the Kingston cards both succeed.

Two cards is a very small sample, certainly not enough to draw any specific
conclusions about either brand, Your mileage may vary, but I would strongly
suggest trying more than one size or make of "CF" card as a way to dodge
this
particular problem.     8-)