[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  J Moore <jaymo at cullmail dot com>
 To:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 Cc:  zealot <zealot at tradersguild dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Fatal trap 12 page fault
 Date:  Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:40:49 -0500
On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:47:07AM +0800, the unit calling itself Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, J Moore wrote:
>
> > It's interesting that I've used physdiskwrite to copy an OpenBSD image
> > to CF, and that boots OK. On the same CF card, I use physdiskwrite to
> > copy the m0n0wall image for Soekris, and it fails. That experience
> > suggests something's amiss with the m0n0wall image... I'll try this
> > again when I have more time.
>
> do you have access to a freebsd system ? if you do, i could provide you
> some scripts which partitions, disklabels and creates a new filesystem on
> the CF card, upon which you can then copy the m0n0wall files (note, not
> images!) on to. this would take into account the actual size of the card
> and not be dependent on the partition table existent in the m0n0wall
> images.

I do have a FreeBSD system (5.2.1), and I _think_ it may have a USB port
on it. I'm using a USB adapter made by PNY (if that makes any diff).

> me thinks, and i cant be sure of this, sometimes as CF cards grow old, the
> exhibit weird characteristics which may break their operation.

I think you're correct - CF cards do degrade over time... but this one
is brand new.

So I guess for the time being it will remain a mystery why phydiskwrite
will write an OpenBSD image to CF that does boot on Soekris, but will
not write a m0n0wall image that boots on the same Soekris.

Thanks,
Jay