[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian" <mono at ricerage dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall to m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:33:45 -0400 (EDT)
> Hello everyone,
>   I am new to the list and would like to know how to setup a m0n0wall to
> m0n0wall
> peristent vpn connection.  This will be between a main company and and
> their
> satellite company.  Thanks.
>
> taz

There is documentation on the site that lists the steps necessary. You may
follow these steps verbatim or use it as a guideline, if you're familiar
with IPSECs workings. Go here:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/ipsec-tunnels.html

Remember that tunnels will be brought down when their SAs expire and
there's no immediate traffic to bring it back up. Tunnel creation is
usually pretty quick (a second or two) so usually theres no issue with
rebuilding it after a drop. I wonder if it would be possible in the future
to add a "persistant" option that would cause each endpoint to ping the
other across the tunnel at predefined intervals. Honestly, I don't know
how useful that is, but its something to ponder. I guess.