[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Stearne <mstearne at entermix dot com>
 To:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Just 1 NIC
 Date:  Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:16:03 -0400
On Jun 22, 2004, at 10:47 AM, Chet Harvey wrote:

> hmmmm since you are PC based, simplest would be to add a nic card just
> configure then take it back out....

That's what I am doing.  The problem is though how do I connect to the
administration after I take that card out?  I can't seem to get in
through the WAN IP or the wireless IP when the original NIC is
disconnected.

> or wont giving the WLAN an IP and then
> configuring your client with the next IP allow them to talk regardless
> of SSID
> since no WEP is enabled yet?

That makes sense but can I still configure later on?

> the SSID should be the FreeBSD default of basically nothing.

It is nothing by default.  Maybe it would good if monowall could give
unconfigured wireless cards a random SSID by default so they can be
connected to once they are configured as the "LAN" interface.

> What does netstumbler see as the ssid?

iStumbler (which I assume is similar) doesn't show the card at all if
its not configured.  Part of the configuration is to turn on SSID
braodcast I assume.  So by default that would be off.

Thanks,
Michael