[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  "[|]" <lists at n0t dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: trouble connecting via pppoe
 Date:  Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:34:48 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, taharka said:

> Howdy Axel,
> > Hi,
> >
> > I guess replying to my own question is not great nettiquette but i am
> > very surprised that i have not gotten a single response or comment :(
> > Doesn't anyone have any suggestions for this problem or even comments
> > about what the log entries show? I thought i gave a detailed description
> > of the problem, maybe i was wrong. If so please suggest kindly what
> > information i should include in future posts.
>
> Not enough info in your original post. Which version & platform of
> m0n0wall are you using? How about a diagram of your setup? Was m0n0wall
> working previously with your 1.5Mb service? FYI, your DSL modem is a
> discontinued product that was used by Verizon's DSL service & is still
> in use in my area (Lexington, KY). No need to set the modem in bridge
> mode because it's just a dumb bridge that passes everything. My guess is
> a cabling issue or the modem's ethernet port is connected to the wrong
> interface on m0n0wall. My Westell 36R516 was replaced with a Fujitsu
> Speedport & both work just fine with m0n0wall. For info on your modem,
> go to westell.com, click on technical support & select your model from
> the Manufacture Discontinued drop down box. BTW, I'm using the m0n0wall
> CDROM platform version 1.1b14.

try the new 1.1b14 image.  a problem with pppl-linkup has been fixed,
where the pppoe connection would succeed, but DNS assignments were broken.
while this may not be exactly the same as your problem, depending your ISP
it might be related.

confirm that the netcard you are using for your WAN is working.  i've
pulled a lot of hair out trying to track down a problem with a pppoe
connection on a m0n0 that turned out to be a bad netcard.  i was misled by
the fact that the card worked fine under windows.  it was nevertheless
broken in such a manner that the freebsd drivers failed to work properly
with it.  looking at your log, i see:
	mpd: mpd: warning: line too long, truncated
this is the same thing i saw with the bad netcard.

maybe try swapping the cables and interface assignments to confirm that
the card works.  or just get another card.  try a different make/model if
you can...

jj