[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Just 1 NIC
 Date:  Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:32:13 -0400
Michael Stearne wrote:

> Is there a way to set up m0n0wall using just a NIC for the WAN
> interface and a wireless card for the LAN interface.  Actually using
> the ISO CD to boot off of I can set up the WAN NIC and the wireless
> card but I can't connect to the machine to do the web based
> configuration.  The wireless card by default doesn't broadcast a SSID
> so I can't connect to it to get an IP.  Any suggestions?

What's wrong with having two NICs -- one for WAN and one for "LAN" --
for "setup" then leave the "LAN" dangling when you are done doing basic
configuring using say a cross-over cable on your "LAN" interface long
enough to get the Wireless going?  No one says you have to have anything
plugged into the LAN interface...

I think the premise behind MW leaves out the thought that someone would
attempt to run it at all without at least WAN and LAN interfaces.  I
doubt it would run properly if you attempted to actually pull the LAN
card.  My guess...  Just don't plug anything into it once the wireless
is set up...?

chris