[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP server - static clients only
 Date:  Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Melvin Backus wrote:
> At 05:36 PM 6/23/2004, Adam Nellemann wrote:
> >Stefan Thuering wrote:
> >
> >>Is there a way to limit the DHCP server to work with static (known) mac
> >>address clients only?
> >>If I enter 4 static macs and limit the server to 4 addr. total it should
> >>generally be ok, but if those clients aren't always running the free
> >>slots can be snatched away. :(
> >>A checkbox with "allow static clients only" would be cool !
> >>p.s. m0n0wall is fantastic...
> >>thanks
> >>   Stefan
> >
> >I too would be interessted in this capability. I think one of the old (pre
> >1.0) betas were actually capable of doing static-only DHCP (not too sure
> >though), simply by giving a dynamic IP range of x.x.x.0 to x.x.x.0,
> >however, when I recently tested this, my host just got the x.x.x.0 IP
> >address :(

That's the trouble with having to specify it as a closed interval rather
than a half-open interval. :-)

What happens if you make .1 the minimum and .0 the maximum?

> >This just to add my wote for the abovementioned checkbox. (or something to
> >similar effect?)
> >
> >Adam.
>
> Sounds like what you really want is an infinite length lease.

No, because an infinite lease still doesn't let you *pick* the specific IP
to be used.  Not to mention the fact that DHCP address asisgnments don't
survive reboots on m0n0wall.

					Fred Wright