[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 To:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Portable Userland CARP
 Date:  Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:25:28 -0500
here is an example
        ________
       [ router ]
        |          |
   m0n01     m0n02
        |          |
      [----- switch -----]
       workstation

If m0n0 1 dies m0n02 assume its wan and lan ips to it's interfaces and
keeps ticking
and all traffic and networks being routed to it keeps coming in non stop

Also from your isp as simple floating route between the two external ips
would suffice but would
be totally unnecessary because they route the block that is to live
behind your firewall to the ip address
that is shared between the two mono boxen as "the" ip.

in short the mono boxes have seperate ips that they use to talk to each
other but they use "the" ip to talk to the world
and more importantly for the world to talk to them.