[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 Cc:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NATed services by the public IP
 Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 2004 03:33:14 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, Joey Morin said:

> > Unless you're generating an enormous amount of traffic, zoneedit.com
> > is free for up to five domains.  For that matter so is dyndns.org if
> > you use one of their domains (40+ choices if I remember correctly),
> > which unless you already have your own domain shouldn't be a big
> > issue.
>
> much obliged!  i was not aware...  i'll check it out...

you're now looking at the proud owner of a shiny new dyndsn.org hostname!

many thanks.  i feel silly not having known this was available for free.
this will make things much easier (but it goes against my mantra:  "the
triumph of hard work over common sense!"  ;-)

there are, however, some questions remaining:

	- this still doesn't let me do a sanity check on my internal
	  servers, since nated servcies are not reachable by the WAN IP

	- i remember seeing a post about secure dynamic dns updates, but
	  i can't find it now.  i checked the logs, and there's no
	  indication from ez-ipupdate as to whether it's using http or
	  https.  i know that dyndns.org can support both, and i'd
	  REALLY like it to be secure...  is that the default?  is it
	  even supported?

	- i also remember seeing a post about multiple hostname updates.
	  as far as i can see, that's not supported either.  has there
	  been any movement on this?  i don't suppose it would be to hard,
	  at least on the php end...  if no-one steps up, i might take
	  a look at it.

cheers,
jj