[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 Cc:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NATed services by the public IP
 Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:07:32 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, Joey Morin said:

> > > Unless you're generating an enormous amount of traffic, zoneedit.com
> > > is free for up to five domains.  For that matter so is dyndns.org if
> > > you use one of their domains (40+ choices if I remember correctly),
> > > which unless you already have your own domain shouldn't be a big
> > > issue.
> >
> > much obliged!  i was not aware...  i'll check it out...
>
> you're now looking at the proud owner of a shiny new dyndsn.org hostname!
>
> many thanks.  i feel silly not having known this was available for free.
> this will make things much easier (but it goes against my mantra:  "the
> triumph of hard work over common sense!"  ;-)

well, it was too good to be true.  i'm running into some weird problems
with my web server.  i'm currently using savant, a small win32 web server.
i don't pretend to know how web servers work in general, or this one in
particular, but part of the configuration asks for "Server DNS Entry
(leave blank to autodetect)" and "Index File Name".

normally, i just leave the first blank, and put "index.html" in the
second.  it is the file it looks for if the URL is a directory rather than
a file.  on my previous inexq router/firewall, this worked fine whether an
index.html file existed or not.  if it didn't, a list of files would be
generated.  typical behaviour for a web server.

when i moved to the m0n0, that broke.  if the index.html file did NOT
exist, it would be built as a file list and served ok.  but if index.html
exists, the http request hangs and times out.

now that i have a dyndns hostname, i'd hoped that would make the problem
go away.  i tried specifying it in the "Server DNS Entry" field, but that
had no effect.  so there are three scenarios:
	- specify partially qualified URL, index.html does NOT exist:
		succeeds
	- specify fully qualified URL
		succeeds
	- specify partially qualified URL, index.htm DOES exist:
		fails

as i'm writing this, it's begining to seem more like a weird problem with
my web server, but the problem didn't exist with my other router.  i'm
certain (although it's more of a feeling, really :) that it has to do with
the verbotten NATed servcies by the public IP...

any ideas?

jj