[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  port forwarding
 Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 2004 19:12:22 +1000
I posted this problem before, and got a couple of replies.. but still no
joy.. i have had a few more thoughts:

setup:
OptusCable ->
RT314 router -(192.168.0.n/24)->
m0n0wall -(172.16.0.n/16)->
CNSH1600 switch ->
XP Pc

problem:
Trying to open TCP port 3784 for Ventrilo (voice) service running on
internal XP Pc.
(will attempt to run ventrilo daemon on m0n0 box when plugin beta for cd-rom
m0n0 available)

questions:
- router - port forwarding - ?Do i forward the required port to the WAN
interface IP? (what I have set), or to the LAN IP? (what I have NOT
currently set, but did try before).

- m0n0 - NAT - Rather than describe the combination of things I have tried
:) can anyone tell me which I should be using? (Inbound / server NAT/ 1:1 /
outbound) - keep in mind the service is running on an internal PC and I want
to allow incoming connections.
Currently I have an "Inbound" rule like so:
WAN  TCP  3784  172.16.0.236  3784

- m0n0 - Firewall Rules - WAN interface - I have set this rule:
   pass TCP * * (IP of the PC running sevice) 3784
  This would be correct to allow the connection IN right?
  I also suspect I need it set to "Allow fragmented packets" ... yeah?

- m0n0 - Interfaces - WAN
I have unchecked the "Block private networks" checkbox: because mty router
lies in a 192.168.0.n address space - I should do this... right?

Thanks for any assist.

Oh, and as an aside, every time I see that - Interfaces: WAN - BigPond
configuration - section, I get all warm and fuzzy inside.

Get a Virgin Credit Card and win an adventure:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;8661322;9498324;s?http://www.promo.com.au/virgincreditcard/firstbirthday/track.cfm?source=N92