[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  John Voigt <megeek at jvoigt dot com>
 Cc:  ulrich at logiq dot dk, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] QoS for VoIP
 Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:37:04 +0200
John Voigt wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

Sorry for budding in, but I was wondering:

Why "both bigger than you actual bandwidth"?

I would have suggested "just a tad smaller than you actual (measured)
bandwidth", in order to avoid queue congestions in other WAN devices
(ie. broadband modem, ISP routers etc.) which (AFAIK) will otherwise
interfere with the shaper, but perhaps I'm missing something here (in
which case I need to change my own shaper config!)

Adam.

P.S. Ulrich: The suggested configuration gives you dynamic shaping
(ie. when not using VoIP you can use the full bandwidth for other
things). If this does not work satisfactory for you, you can try a
static shaping config instead (where you permanently set aside part of
your bandwidth for VoIP, which then can NOT be used by anything else,
even if you don't use VoIP), which will typically provide a more
stable allocation of bandwidth to your VoIP.

To do so, you must make two queues (for each direction), one with the
bandwidth you want to set aside for VoIP, and one with the remaining
bandwidth (actual minus VoIP). You should then change the VoIP queue
to go to the VoIP pipe and the "other" queue to go to the "remaining"
pipe. The queue weights will not matter in this config, and you should
be able to just leave the rules as they were (since the queues are the
same!)