[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NATed services by the public IP
 Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:04:59 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, Adam Nellemann said:

> What he is refering to is the DNS forwarder (aka DNS override), where
> you can enter arbitrary host and domain names and link them to arbitrary
> IPs, this is quite useful for many things, one is to access your NAT'ed
> services on the LAN, which you do simply by "overriding"  your domain
> name with the servers local IP, other uses are to make "shorthand"
> domain names for commonly used services (ie. if you ping
> www.dslreports.com a lot, simply override their IP with a DNS name of
> "test", then you can do a "ping test" from any local machine using
> m0n0wall as their DNS server! (many other uses as well...)
>
> Hope this helps!

ah.  well, that helped fix a new problem i ran into, where trying to
connect to any internal machine from any other internal machine pointed me
at my WAN IP, and of course that failed!  dns override has let me fix
that, but my peculiar webserver problem, and the related NATed services
problem remain.  it's becoming clear that the only way to make these
problems go away is to allow nated services to be referenced internally by
the WAN IP.

so i guess i need "bounce."  can anyone put me on the right track?

jj