[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: [m0n0wall-dev] Still got GUI hangs with 1.1b14?!?
 Date:  Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:48:24 +0800 (MYT)
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Fred Wright wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> > the problem manifested itself more in IE because of the way IE does not
> > close a connection when it's done with it. thus IE users would have been
> > more likely to hit the bug, though other browsers would have eventually
> > hit it as well. testing on IE made it more apparent.
>
> Safari keeps HTTP/1.1 sessions open as well.  I'd expect that to be
> increasingly common.

if more browsers did this, it's going to throw sizing figures of public
webservers totally out of whack. most operating systems have an upper
limit on how many open sockets they can have at any one time. web
performance sizing has always been predicated on transient connections. in
fact, using persistent connections (introduced in http/1.1) was a way to
reduce the number of socket connections made to a web server, all in the
name of cutting down on tcp overhead.