[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 To:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 Cc:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: [m0n0wall-dev] Still got GUI hangs with 1.1b14?!?
 Date:  Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:14:37 -0400
I see it all the time. "New" and better web servers (weblogic, websphere,
webmethods, etc) all are getting bloated too and all have different
interpretations of HTTP 1.1, it's a joke. Add vendors mucking with the browser
and it is a mess.....it wont get any better unfortunately.

Quoting Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Fred Wright wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> > > the problem manifested itself more in IE because of the way IE does not
> > > close a connection when it's done with it. thus IE users would have been
> > > more likely to hit the bug, though other browsers would have eventually
> > > hit it as well. testing on IE made it more apparent.
> >
> > Safari keeps HTTP/1.1 sessions open as well.  I'd expect that to be
> > increasingly common.
>
> if more browsers did this, it's going to throw sizing figures of public
> webservers totally out of whack. most operating systems have an upper
> limit on how many open sockets they can have at any one time. web
> performance sizing has always been predicated on transient connections. in
> fact, using persistent connections (introduced in http/1.1) was a way to
> reduce the number of socket connections made to a web server, all in the
> name of cutting down on tcp overhead.
>
> Regards,                           /\_/\   "All dogs go to heaven."
> dinesh at alphaque dot com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/
> | for a in past present future; do                                        |
> |   for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do   |
> |   echo "The opinions here in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b."  |
> | done; done                                                              |

Chet Harvey
Protecting your Digital Assets
703.407.7311