[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: m0n0wall Digest 28 Jun 2004 03:00:00 -0000 Issue 155
 Date:  Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:22:18 +1000
I have had similar problems, although I did not correlate it to DHCP.
Particularly while transferring large (5gig) files from my PC, the remote
system would give the same error... or something like "file or path no
longer available". But it would work if smaller files were copied, or if the
same large file were attempted a couple of times.
I am not sure if my problem is related to yours, or to m0n0, or just to my
friends' inherent lack of understanding of any kind of security procedures.
(their home networks exhibit traits of being controlled by some
conglomeration of teenage netbios h4xx0rs - and consequently their PC's
frequently get weird when they take them outside their normal environment -
something they consider 'normal' for computers to do).

Interestingly, although I do have DHCP turned on for the LAN, I also define
my own PC's IP manually in services_dhcp.php

...probably unrelated, it just sounded similar.

QUESTION:
Would it be advantageous, redundant, or silly to define the m0n0's LAN
interface IP and lock it by MAC address also?

http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/clk;7249209;8842331;n?http://www.ingdirect.com.au/burst6offer.asp?id=8