[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  Vincent FLEURANCEAU <vincent at bikost dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPPoE + static IP
 Date:  Wed, 30 Jun 2004 06:05:32 -0400
At 04:59 AM 6/30/2004, Vincent FLEURANCEAU wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>I'm about to set up a m0n0wall box with PPPoE ADSL Internet access.
>NOTICE: I'm not connected at the moment, so I can't experiment by myself.
>I'm waiting for my ADSL line to get ready.
>
>On the WebGUI, if I choose PPPoE for the WAN interface, there is no place
>I can enter my static IP, the netmask and the default gateway. I've
>noticed that the corresponding fields exist on commercial routers...
>
>Can someone confirm that these informations are 'dynamically' provided
>(even if the IP is static) when the PPP session is established?
>
>I've found nothing about static IP assignation in the MPD
>documentation.   It explains what ranges of IP both ends of the PPP link
>can use, but nothing on the way IP addresses are assigned.
>
>Is there a PPP guru on the mailing-list?
>
>I've contacted my ISP technical support: they say it's better to let
>the  PPP session do its job...
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>-- Vincent

If you will be using PPPoE then you will normally also be using DHCP.  That
doesn't require that your IP address will change, but it isn't a true
static IP.  Most providers here at least actually issue a DHCP reservation
so that you always get the same IP rather than provide a truly static IP
address.

Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick any two