[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vincent FLEURANCEAU <vincent at bikost dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPPoE + static IP
 Date:  Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:26:48 +0200
> If you will be using PPPoE then you will normally also be using DHCP.
> That doesn't require that your IP address will change, but it isn't a
> true static IP.  Most providers here at least actually issue a DHCP
> reservation so that you always get the same IP rather than provide a
> truly static IP address.

I see: a sort of DHCP reservation based on username, instead of MAC
address...

So, this means it wouldn't be possible to use PPPoE with assigned block
of *real* static IPs (including IPs for default gateway, subnet address
and broadcast address) which have to be hard coded in most ISP offers?

Thank you all,

-- Vincent