[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  "Monowall (E-mail)" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Another feature request
 Date:  Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:15:51 +0200
Zadikem, Travis-taz wrote:

> But why download something and massage it when you should
> just be able to go to one place and get the information you need, right?
> If I am at home and someone calls me with a problem with access. I should
> be able to login to my m0n0wall at work and check the log right there.  I shouldn't
> have to log into a second machine, check my new fancy log and then log back
> into m0n0wall to fix a possible problem.  Hmm!

I must agree with Mr. Zadikem here, even if I do understand that the
developers might have a lot of more important things to do with their
time ;)

It is of course always possible to use either the SNMP or the syslog
feature (or both), to obtain the needed information and format it as
wanted. However, this requires a seperate box on which to do such
formatting (and, it follows, the final presentation of the formatted
logs), and as have been discussed so many times before, not everybody
has this option, nor would it make sense to set up a box just for this
purpose for a great number of users (such as myself! Being a home
user, having a stand-alone syslog box would be extreme overkill in my
case.)

Personally I also find that the suggestion of using one or more Java
applets to do such formatting would be overdoing things a bit. As
first suggested, all that is really needed is some textual formatting
(converting/expanding the various codes, rule numbers and so on into a
more "human-readable" format), a bit of colouring (both for easy
identification of the various parts of a log entry, and for indicating
various kinds of entries) and (optionally) a few icons (as an
alternate way of indicating the kind of entry, such as "block", "pass"
and "reject" etc.) This should all (to my limited knowledge?) be quite
doable using only php (and perhaps a small binary, to speed things up
if necessary?)

Of course it would also be nice if IPs were resolved to host names and
perhaps even "resolving" known ports, both of which should also not be
too hard to do in php, but such might well be considered "too much"
for the built-in log (and might also require a large DNS cache and/or
multi-threaded DNS lookup and other stuff, beyond the current
capabilites of m0n0wall?)

Anyway, just my 2c on the matter. I'll leave it up to the developers
to decide if this is something that warrants immidiate attention, or
should be put in the "perhaps later" drawer?

Regards,

Adam.