[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Robert Staph" <rstaph at digitalimpreza dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: VoIP Vonage Setup Help (IT'S ALIVE)
 Date:  Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:49:46 -0400
I must state that you will be much happier with your vonage service if you
connect it directly to your cable modem.  Or you'll need to be sure that you
never download or upload while your on the vonage phone.  I know this from
experience.

You can goto 192.168.102.1 (at least on my motorola) and configure any port
forwading you want.  Unless you have more than one public IP this is the
best way to maintain a low lag, high quality vonage signal.  If you
absolutely need to have is behind your m0n0wall, at least configure traffic
shaping.  But even with traffic shaping I noticed the phone would "ring" for
the caller 3 or 4 times before I heard the first ring if I was downloading
anything.  Plus it acted very funny for about 20 seconds after I picked up
(huge delays, drop outs, etc).

-Rob