[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Voigt" <megeek at jvoigt dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: VoIP Vonage Setup Help (IT'S ALIVE)
 Date:  Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:50:33 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Staph" <rstaph at digitalimpreza dot com>
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 10:49 AM

> I must state that you will be much happier with your vonage service if you
> connect it directly to your cable modem.  Or you'll need to be sure that
you
> never download or upload while your on the vonage phone.  I know this from
> experience.

Well, I have a different experience - I have mine behind the monowall box
and it's working just dandy with the traffic shaper.  Perhaps your shaper
configuration was not properly loaded?

By the way, I have a ReplayTV unit on my network that is sending shows a lot
of the time so my network is almost always saturated (the WAN side) and I
have absolutely no problems with VOIP calls.  I have the RTV data in a low
priority queue and my regular browsing also works just fine.

Setup (pardon the crappy ascii graphics):

\/  <---- antenna for internal Engenius card AP (bridged with LAN)

monowall (Soekris)--cable modem

switch
 | | |--Vonage VOIP  (Queue weight 100)
 | |------Rest of home network (Queue weight 50)
 |---ReplayTV (Queue weight 1)

Surely there are others successfully using the traffic shaper with VOIP.

John Voigt, President

Reston Wireless, LLC
High speed internet service
no smoke, no mirrors, no wires (tm)