[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Intel i810 = BTX halted?
 Date:  Sat, 3 Jul 2004 16:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Stefan Thuering wrote:

> Anthony Bellissimo wrote:
> > EtherExpress NICs. When I boot from a hard disk with m0n0wall on it, I
> > get a register dump and "BTX halted." The same hard disk boots fine in
> > my Athlon machine (VIA chipset, I think) and the Roadster runs Linux
>
> Did you write the diskimage with the destination system's ide
> controller? I've had trouble when imaging on one pc and booting on
> another...

Aside from the problem of differing opinions about how the drive is
addressed, there are a couple of problems I ran into when I first
installed it:

1) The USB flashcard adapter I was using didn't like the 16k blocksize
recommended in the instructions.  Using the default of 512 worked
better.  I don't think the larger blocksize really changes how the CF is
actually written, so its only benefit is probably speed of writing.

2) I was specifying the wrong "level" of device name, and writing to a
partition rather than the whole drive.

One thing that helps is to read back the image after writing it, and
compare the two.  That caught problem #1 above, though not #2.

The other approach to this is netbooting and writing the image with the
*same* machine that will be reading it.  However, netbooting has some
obstacles of its own, some of which are m0n0wall problems and some of
which are inherent.  I have actually successfully done this, but it's a
pain.

					Fred Wright