[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joey Morin <jmorin at icomm dot ca>
 To:  j dot m dot jackson at thecompany dot org
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] console on serial for generic pc
 Date:  Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:56:48 -0400 (EDT)
This one time, at band camp, j dot m dot jackson at thecompany dot org said:

> Are those changes saved between upgrades? If not, then these changes

nope.

> will be necessary every time the firmware is upgraded, right? I think
> we'd much rather see it 'supported' in the standard m0n0 build.

i expect the typical m0n0 install on a standard pc will use the
vga/keyboard console.  most users will have no need for serial console
access.

if you set the console to serial, and then can't actually get the serial
hardware to work, you're hosed.  you'd have to re-install or use exec.php
to rebuild loader.rc, assuming you can still get in via the webgui.

generally, an option that allow an administrator to shoot himself in the
foot should be avoided, expecially in a security product :)

if you really need serial console, you can build your own image when an
upgrade is released.  and, if you don't have access to a *nix system, you
can use the exec.php technique described in my earlier post.  if you see
yourself needing to do this every day, then i suppose you could put
<shellcmd> tags in your config.xml to create a "set_comconsole" shell
script in /tmp.  which you could run after an upgrade.  if you're fooling
around enough with m0n0 to want to install every beta that is released,
you can manage this change without the need for it to be included as a
checkbox in the webgui.

jj