[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0-ovpn ver 0.1
 Date:  Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:48:27 +1000
Hi Peter,

That's what a module system is to me - a system that lets you load a
module onto the working system, and have it there when you reboot.  If
that's not how the m0n0wall module system works, then methinks it needs
a bit more work.

> Unless you know some clever way of inserting the goodies into
> the mfsroot.gz sitting on the CF (that isn't going to destroy
> your system if it goes wrong)?

I'd have thought that the module system had a way to load a module into
the working m0n0wall install on a permanent basis - preferable with a
"module removal" option as well - so a module being tested/evaluated can
be removed/updated as needed.

> > I'm off for a week of babysitting my sister's kids (school
> > holidays) so I'll be pretty much unable to test anything.
> > And as I have a net4501 and no other FreeBSD system, it
> > looks like your module cannot be uploaded to the net4501
> > to test anyway - I don't want to hack a working m0n0wall
> > base to add a module.
> >

> If you want to upload and test, then it is dead easy - there
> are only 5 or 6 files.  Perhaps I should write a little
> script so that you could just upload a tar file and have it
> unpacked into the right place.  I will think about it
> overnight, but it still doesn't help you with a permament
> change.

It would make it easier for people to evaluate and test your module,
that's for sure.  As I mentioned, I'd have thunk that the module
framework would take care of loading and unloading modules from the base
system, not have them disappear upon a reboot.

> > Good luck - I hope this works out for you and those looking
> > at OpenVPN.
> >

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Peter

NP - without it, where would we all be?

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                          Phone: +61 (0)7 3343 3889