[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Voigt" <megeek at jvoigt dot com>
 To:  "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] recommended wireless?
 Date:  Tue, 6 Jul 2004 04:10:55 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
To: <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 3:24 AM
Subject: [m0n0wall] recommended wireless?

> I need to get rid of a length of unsightly network cable (strung along the
> roof) running from a router to my m0n0 box, and was thinking of using
> something wireless.
> (Mainly because, I'm guessing, professional installation of 15m of twisted
> pair and a couple of wall sockets will probably cost me about $200....
> right?)
>
> Therefore I have been looking through the various available wireless
> router/NIC available in .au
> and then following links to reviews of these products.
>
> After reading various reviews on [name removed] I came to the following
> conclusions:
> a) that their editors ratings are not based on the actual products
> performance.
> b) that 90% of the people who buy these products and then review them on
the
> site, are generally stupid, and largely illiterate.
> c) I don't think i can believe anything I see on that site, and now doubt
> any review's authenticity.
>
> So now I ask those who actually use such devices for their learned
opinions
> (thats you people BTW)...
> What is a good wireless solution? Primarily just to replace a 15-20m
length
> of CAT5.
> ..or should I just get a cable and wall sockets installed?

Install wire if there's anyway you can afford it.  Wireless works for most
stuff if you're forced to use it.

For 15M a couple of WET11's in bridge mode will probably work just fine.

Just remember - nothing works as well as cat5.

John Voigt, President

Reston Wireless, LLC
High speed internet service
no smoke, no mirrors, no wires (tm)