[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Module stuff - WAS RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0-ovpn ver 0.1
 Date:  Sun, 4 Jul 2004 00:12:34 -0700
Hey Hilton...

> I'd have thought that the module system had a way to load a module into
> the working m0n0wall install on a permanent basis - preferable with a
> "module removal" option as well - so a module being tested/evaluated can
> be removed/updated as needed.

Module support is VERY basic right now. What I was asking for, and got, was
a set of hooks to allow a custom module to be tied into the system without
requiring a bunch of hacking and customization to the firmware - by simply
putting the files there, they are automatically included...

Admittedly, this does not auto-build a new disk image, ISO, or other... and
this limits the use of modules... BUT, it is a lot easier than saying to
everyone "Here is this neat idea, all you have to do is go into your stable
router PHP files and edit like 2192 to say "if ($x >4)" then it should
work!"

Eventually, (and I think I've said it before) that I'd envision either an
image builder (pick your modules, and build your image / ISO dynamically and
download it!)

OR something that would download and install the code much like the new
firmware updates... both of those require much work, and are not in the
direction Manuel wanted to move M0n0 (my interpetation - forgive me if wrong
Manuel) - My understanding was that he wanted to avoid M0n0 becoming as
bloated as another (smoothwall?) which supported a downloadable concept, but
at the same time, he appreciated the pain in the butt that constant hacking
of core files to include test code would cause.

Anyone volunteering to take the module code to the next level (as a module?)
is totally welcome of course... I'd love to share ideas and help make it
better.

Glad to see someone publishing a module - this is our first isn't it?

Thanks!

m/