[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <peter at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] recommended wireless?
 Date:  Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:15:35 +0100
Andrew

As an alternative, have you considered an 'Ethernet-over-Power' solution.
There seems to be quite a few of these around at the moment and the one I
have works OK, provided you don't try and go through a RCD circuit breaker or
similar.

The main issue is that they generally give around 2-5Mbps (but if you are just
basically trying to get to the Internet you probably wouldn't notice this).

Cheers

Peter

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 08:24, Andrew Eglington wrote:
> I need to get rid of a length of unsightly network cable (strung along the
> roof) running from a router to my m0n0 box, and was thinking of using
> something wireless.
> (Mainly because, I'm guessing, professional installation of 15m of twisted
> pair and a couple of wall sockets will probably cost me about $200....
> right?)
>
> Therefore I have been looking through the various available wireless
> router/NIC available in .au
> and then following links to reviews of these products.
>
> After reading various reviews on [name removed] I came to the following
> conclusions:
> a) that their editors ratings are not based on the actual products
> performance.
> b) that 90% of the people who buy these products and then review them on
> the site, are generally stupid, and largely illiterate.
> c) I don't think i can believe anything I see on that site, and now doubt
> any review's authenticity.
>
> So now I ask those who actually use such devices for their learned opinions
> (thats you people BTW)...
> What is a good wireless solution? Primarily just to replace a 15-20m length
> of CAT5.
> ..or should I just get a cable and wall sockets installed?

believed to be clean.