[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <peter at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  Ryan Giobbi <rgiobbi at zoominternet dot net>
 Cc:  Andrew Eglington <aeglington at hotmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] recommended wireless?
 Date:  Tue, 6 Jul 2004 14:09:20 +0100
Yes - thats the kind of thing I was thinking of.  The one you show does 14mbs
- I saw a couple the other day only doing only 1.5Mbps so I guess there is a
lot of variation.  I note that Andrew is in Oz, so there is probably a local
version that works with their wiring codes (which are probably similar to the
UK).

The one I am using is a no-name taiwanese job that runs at 10 Mbps, but is
clearly for the UK 220-240V/50Hz environment.  Actually, I have been using it
for a while and it is pretty good but bulky (unlike the netgear you linked
to).

Peter

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 13:09, Ryan Giobbi wrote:
> Here is an example of one:
> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/XE102.php?view=hm
>
> Other equipment vendors make them also.
>
> Peter Curran wrote:
> >Andrew
> >
> >As an alternative, have you considered an 'Ethernet-over-Power' solution.
> >There seems to be quite a few of these around at the moment and the one I
> >have works OK, provided you don't try and go through a RCD circuit breaker
> > or similar.
> >
> >The main issue is that they generally give around 2-5Mbps (but if you are
> > just basically trying to get to the Internet you probably wouldn't notice
> > this).
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Peter
> >
> >On Tuesday 06 July 2004 08:24, Andrew Eglington wrote:
> >>I need to get rid of a length of unsightly network cable (strung along
> >> the roof) running from a router to my m0n0 box, and was thinking of
> >> using something wireless.
> >>(Mainly because, I'm guessing, professional installation of 15m of
> >> twisted pair and a couple of wall sockets will probably cost me about
> >> $200.... right?)
> >>
> >>Therefore I have been looking through the various available wireless
> >>router/NIC available in .au
> >>and then following links to reviews of these products.
> >>
> >>After reading various reviews on [name removed] I came to the following
> >>conclusions:
> >>a) that their editors ratings are not based on the actual products
> >>performance.
> >>b) that 90% of the people who buy these products and then review them on
> >>the site, are generally stupid, and largely illiterate.
> >>c) I don't think i can believe anything I see on that site, and now doubt
> >>any review's authenticity.
> >>
> >>So now I ask those who actually use such devices for their learned
> >> opinions (thats you people BTW)...
> >>What is a good wireless solution? Primarily just to replace a 15-20m
> >> length of CAT5.
> >>..or should I just get a cable and wall sockets installed?

> >>For additional commands, e-mail: m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch

believed to be clean.