[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ryan Giobbi <rgiobbi at zoominternet dot net>
 To:  Peter Curran <peter at closeconsultants dot com>
 Cc:  Andrew Eglington <aeglington at hotmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] recommended wireless?
 Date:  Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:25:43 -0400
There is a fly in the powerline ethernet transceiver though- if you are
not on your own converter/sub station (those cylinder-like things that
hang on the poles) your signal can be picked up by your neighbors if
they also have a powerline adapter.

A VPN connection to the router, or if you are only using behind a
converter/substation (such as a rural home), solves this problem.
Netgear uses weak (56 bit DES) encryption built in. In practice, the DES
encryption should be good enough since no one will know you are using them.

The netgear powerline ethernet adapter will support at least 16 units (1
for the router, 15 for the clients), so you could make your entire
network using them.