[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dan O'Brien" <score underscore it at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ssh console?
 Date:  Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:41:35 -0400
I'm not sure who wrote it, but in a previous message in this thread someone
suggested making it an option with a 'check box' to enable and disable it...
perhaps they were right. I still stand on the fence in regards to this, I
can see both the advantages as well as the disadvantages to having a ssh
console to aceess monowall. I've grown used to having console access to
routers, Cisco, Watchguard and Raptors all have it and it does give you
quite a bit of control and adds to the functionality... so long as the ssh
port is blocked from the WAN interface there should be no real security
issue, but as with all network security "Less is more".
MonoWall is open source and anyone could recompile it with SSH support, but
as for MonoWall itself ultimatley the decision is up to Manuel.

Regards
Dan O'Brien

&gt;From: &quot;Gorm J. Siiger&quot; &lt;gjs at sonnit dot dk&gt;
&gt;To: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
&gt;Subject: Re: [m0n0wall] ssh console?
&gt;Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:07:15 +0200
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; &gt; Perhaps I'm missing something -- if people are psyched for ssh
access,
&gt; &gt; why not run m0n0bsd?
&gt; &gt; Seems like it'd be easy to add ipf(ilter) or the like, and end up
with
&gt; &gt; a text-configurable firewall you can ssh to...
&gt; &gt;
&gt;And we could run Linux..... But we don't !
&gt;
&gt;We like m0n0wall, why should we change to another platform if we like
the
&gt;m0n0wall package. ?
&gt;
&gt;--
&gt;Gorm J. Siiger - SonnIT
&gt;
&gt;To unsubscribe, e-mail: m0n0wall dash unsubscribe at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
&gt;For additional commands, e-mail: m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
&gt;