[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <peter at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  Ryan Giobbi <rgiobbi at zoominternet dot net>
 Cc:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] recommended wireless?
 Date:  Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:06:29 +0100
Ryan

I am well aware of the literature (I am pretty sure Manuel is as well), I even
have a copy of 'Cracking DES' that somebody gave me as a joke present a
couple of years ago.  The fact remains that you still can't buy a DES-cracker
in CompUSA, Frys or equivalent.

If I was managing security for a mega-corp with really sensitive and important
data flying around (which is my day job on occasion) then I worry about
whether to trust AES-256.  For securing my home network, PLOD (PLain Old DES)
is perfectly OK.  If somebody has the knowledge and need to crack it, then
they will find many easier ways of getting in.

Peter Curran
CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCSE

believed to be clean.