[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  seth at pachai dot net
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] recommended wireless?
 Date:  Wed, 07 Jul 2004 07:39:54 +1000
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, unfortunately I am actually spanning
between two separate domociles: they ARE a single building, however it's a
duplex (2 homes/one building) so the power is separated at the switchboard -
i remember trying to get some intercoms working that used power as its
transport... but no go unless i used their power points or vice versa.
Therefore as much as that *is* an excellent suggestion, and my preference,
it's not do-able.

And Seth:

>You don't mention why the m0n0 is there.   Is it an AP
>for some local coverage, hotspot, etc?

No, it's not an all-seeing-eye-m0n0-up-a-flagpole setup :)
(I keep visualising Saurons evil eye radiating data from a big Eiffel tower
type setup - heh)

It's because my neighbour owns the cable connection, and I am just leasing
half of the bandwidth from him, the m0n0 is there because I do not trust
other people to be as secure about their networks as I prefer to be, plus
it's nice to have two layers of shielding from the interweb. (three
actually: router, m0n0, Outpost)

..I've actually been thinking of constructing a mini motherboard CF card
based unit and mounting it INSIDE my PC, powered from the alternative power
lead, possibly also incorporating my 16 port switching hub, so that I have a
permanent hardware firewall with me at all times, protecting *just* my PC
from the various friends dubious networks I connect to.... and i usually
bring my switch too, so it really may as well be built into the PC... it
ALMOST fits in the CD bay... having it slide out for use, and back in to
transport would be schweeeet. Unfortunately its about 1 mm too wide.

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp?banner=emailtag&referrer=hotmail