[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Pierron <david at wombatsweb dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  What cables/What IP address?
 Date:  Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:15:54 -0400
I am new to m0n0wall ... I was looking for a FreeBSD firewall, and this
looked intriguing as the developer of Smoothwall put his stamp of approval
on it ...  I have two main questions;

1.) What cables should be used to go from/to the interfaces?
2.) What should the WAN IP address be?

I do not use NAT or pricate network IPs, I have a C Class ... A Cisco
Router and Cisco Switches

My Cisco Router's Serial interface (the T1) is defined as
ip address my.isp.ip.adr 255.255.255.252

My Ethernet interface is defined as my.eth.net.1 255.255.255.0

I have a xover cable coming from the router into the first switch and we've
been happy for years now ...

- Now I want to upset all this harmony with a firewall -

I burned a CD and inserted a floppy and I brought up the m0n0wall
I configured the WAN address with my.isp.ip.adr /31
the gateway with my.eth.net.1
and the m0n0wall as my.eth.net.2

Pointing to http://my.eth.net.2 gets me into the web interface, but when I
pull the xover from the switch and put it into the other Ethernet interface
on the PC, it doesn't work ...  I also tried a regular patch cable ...
couldn't get anything to fire up ...

I then change the WAN IP address to an unused IP address on my network and
plugged a patch into another Cisco switch port and it fired up and the
status under the Interfaces showed up in the web administration ...

Please .. some tips as to what cables to use, and how to put this in my
environment ... Cisco Router to Cisco Switches using Real C Class IP
addresses ...

Do I have to change anything in the router?  I wouldn't think so ...  The
router has its WAN side IP that is my ISP's, and I have my LAN side IP
which is the .1 of my C Class ...

This is where it gets confusing for me ... What is then the LAN/WAN for the
m0n0wall and am I correct that it goes between the router and the switches?

Thanks ...