[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Compton MacKenzie <cmackenzie at greystonesoftware dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PPTP idle timeout & netmask.
 Date:  Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:24:35 -0600
Hi,

I am trying out m0n0wall as a replacement for my SMC Barricade Plus VPN
router, but I am frusterated with a couple of limitations of m0n0's PPTP
implementation.  With my SMC router I could set it up so that the VPN client
connected within the LAN's network address range, but with m0n0, the netmask
seems to be hardcoded to /32 (even though the GUI says /28?)  Secondly, with
my SMC I could control the idle timeout of my PPTP connections so that they
would stay open almost indefinitely, but m0n0 seems to have the timeout
hardcoded to 15 minutes?  Although I have my client setup to redial, the
interruption in the network connection nonetheless causes me some problems.
(I even tried setting a job to ping every 10 minutes to keep it from idling
out but, strangely, that doesn't always work.)  It would be nice to use an
IPSEC connection in this case but, unfortunately, both sides of my
connection are dynamic, and IPSEC doesn't support DDNS.  (Whereas PPTP works
nicely with DDNS.)

So, I guess my question is, is the beta version of m0n0 any different than
the current one in this respect?  Or, has anyone found a backdoor way to
alter the PPTP configuration?  I tried modifying the
/var/etc/mpd-vpn/mpd.conf file, but, alas, m0n0 seems to rewrite this file
when it reboots.

Thanks!