[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Andrew Eglington <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] auto-detect - not what is expected.
 Date:  Wed, 07 Jul 2004 10:24:17 +0200
On 07.07.2004 08:14 +1000, Andrew Eglington wrote:

> He said that he immediately considered going back to smoothwall,
> but called me instead (at 10:30pm)... I suggested he just use his
> brain and manually enter the NIC name it was listing as "UP"...
> which he did, just as we all have done, and of course he then had
> no problem, but commented that this auto-detect business not
> auto-setting was silly and counter intuitive. I tactfully agreed.

Huh? With non-broken NICs that actually report their link status
properly, here's how it works in detail:

1. User enters console "assign network ports" menu
2. User decides to use auto-detection and *duly reads the
instructions given*
3. User unplugs all NICs as per the instructions
4. User enters "a" for the LAN interface name to use auto-detection
5. Following the instructions, the user plugs in the NIC that (s)he
wants to become the LAN interface and makes sure that the link is up
6. User presses ENTER and m0n0wall reports that a link-up was
detected on interface xyz0.
7. User repeats steps 4-6 for WAN and any optional interfaces
8. When finished, the user presses ENTER at the optional interface
prompt
9. An overview of interface assignments is displayed
10. The user types "y" and presses ENTER
11. The changes are saved and the firewall reboots

--> no need to manually enter any interface names

I can't see how I could simplify the auto-detection, given the
limited technical possibilities, so for the time being I just have to
assume that people who can't get it to work either use NICs that
don't report their link-up status properly or just didn't read the
instructions carefully enough. Unless of course there's a bug that
prevents it from working for some people.

> Also, the font that displays the NIC names makes 1 (one) loook like
> l (L), and he was reading :
> x10 (x ten)
> instead of what was actually:
> xl0 (x L zero)

On the console or in the webGUI?

> Subnet mask examples:
> 255.0.0.0 = /8
> 255.255.0.0 = /16
> 255.255.255.0 = /24
> 255.255.255.255 = /32

Here's what it says in the console menu "Set LAN IP address":

---
Enter the new LAN IP address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet masks are entered as bit counts (as in CIDR notation) in
m0n0wall.
e.g. 255.255.255.0 = 24
     255.255.0.0   = 16
     255.0.0.0     = 8

Enter the new LAN subnet bit count:
---

As far as the webGUI is concerned, this is definitely something that
should be explained in the DocBook and/or the (future) online help.
The explanation in the console menu is merely there for convenience,
in case the user needs to get m0n0wall up and running before (s)he
can access the Internet to finally find out about CIDR notation.

- Manuel