[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "sietze" <m0n0wall at sistemaseuropeos dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: ssh console?
 Date:  Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:45:30 +0200
Hi all,

1)
Peter Curran [peter at closeconsultants dot com] wrote:
 > The big issue is the size of mfsroot when it has been gunzipped
 > into memory.
 > I really don't want to sacrifice more than 16MB of memory to the
 > m0n0 runtime
 > on my 64MB 4501.  I actually have a 32MB 4511 and this is going
 > to struggle
 > to swallow a much bigger firmware image than the current.
If ssh, and other fancy stuff, would mean that we could no longer use our 32
and 48 MB boards, well, that would make quite some people unhappy.

2)
With a lot of other systems you need something to be able to fiddle
underneath the surface, to fix things that otherwise can't be fixed. But the
m0n0wall GUI, for once, is a well designed interface, limiting the need for
other types of access.

3)
There are a lot of firewalls around that already come with ssh. In some
situations they might be more useful then m0n0wall. Someone in this thread
already pointed to complete FreeBSD and M0n0BSD. If you need ssh to "dick
around" or if you would feel more secure with ssh use these.
Why insist on adding ssh to a system that does not have it by design?

Just my 3 cents.

Sietze Dijkstra
NetAdmin