[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Robert Staph" <rstaph at digitalimpreza dot com>, "John Voigt" <megeek at wyndhamhills dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: VoIP Vonage Setup Help (IT'S ALIVE)
 Date:  Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:39:05 -0700
Not to drag it too far off topic here, but EVERYONE I've ever talked to in
my region (Canada, BC) has had more difficulty with Cable than with other
connections (ADSL / T1 / ISDN / etc.) due to the bussed nature of the
service... The underlying topology is often like old thinnet ethernet... a
common signal shared over many users... so even if YOU set up a shaper,
doesn't mean the upstream provider respects it, and when your traffic is in
contention with other traffic, spikes in latency can cause the problems you
are seeing - just because they promise 128k/256k doesn't mean they
consistantly deliver.

You MIGHT find some relief by assuming (for purposes of your rules that your
pipe is 25% smaller than it is...

Just a thought - would like to hear the results.

Also, as a thought, is there anywhere people are archiving rules for things
like this (Vonage, Net2Phone, Quake, etc. etc.) - if not, maybe we should
start a wiki for it?

m/