[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <peter at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  "John Voigt" <megeek at jvoigt dot com>, "taharka" <res00vl8 at alltel dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Booting m0n0wall from floppy
 Date:  Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:39:20 +0100
> > OK, my interest is aroused ;) What are the shortcomings of using the CD
> > version of m0n0wall? I've been contemplating switching from the CD
> > version to the generic pc version but would like to know the advantages.
>
> With the CF version (generic PC version on a flash card) there are no
> moving parts (other than fans) so you needn't worry about CD or floppy
> failing plus if you have no fans it's totally silent.

I have occasionally experienced 'sticky CD' syndrome where a CD that is in the
drive for a long time suddenly becomes inaccesible for no reason.  The
problem clears with a reboot.

Can I also add that, for example, if you want to add a module to the standard
ISO image you can't.

I installed a m0n0 system for a client a few weeks back on a trial basis,
using the CD image.  They rang me up to say that they had a problem - it
turned out that an over-zealous admin had removed the floppy because of the
security policy at the site!

Peter

believed to be clean.