[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Vaughan <tim at timvaughan dot co dot uk>
 To:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Booting m0n0wall from floppy
 Date:  Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:41:27 +0100
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I'll give the PC image a go.
Am I right in thinking this would require transferring the image onto
the smoothwall machine (probably using scp since it doesn't include
wget) and then using dd to overwite the smoothwall partition?  I guess
this would cause all sorts of kernel panics etc. as /bin disappears but
then presumably a reboot would bring up the new m0n0 OS.

Tim

David Cook wrote:

>Tim,
>
>Unfortunately there is no boot disk option. The floppy used with the
>bootable CD-ROM image only holds the configuration xml file.
>
>Have you considered the standard PC (CF/IDE version) image
>(http://m0n0.ch/wall/installation_generic.php)? This doesn't require either
>a BIOS that supports bootable CD-ROMs or a floppy disk which is always
>potential source of failure.
>
>My recommendation would be to go down the Compact Flash Card route. No
>moving parts and no noise. Have a look at http://www.cfide.co.uk/ for
>details of a suitable IDE adapter.

recipient(s) named above and any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution is forbidden.  If
you are not the recipient named above, please contact the sender immediately and destroy this
message.  The views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not necessarily those of
JET PRESS LIMITED.