[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 To:  "'Aaron Robinson '" <aaron at robinson dot net>, "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch '" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Routable IP setup - please help!
 Date:  Thu, 2 Oct 2003 00:41:02 +0200
Hi Aaron,

if you're using routable ip's you can enable enhanced NAT and don't create
any specific rules. This leaves NAT out of the picture, because you don't
need (or even want) it.

If you want to do the public address routing, you will have to assign 2
public adresses to m0n0wall (1 to the WAN and one to the LAN interface),
which have to be in 2 different subnets (a bonus would be to be able to put
your isp's router in bridging mode, so you could use its 'outside' public
adress for the WAN interface).

If you cannot change the ISP's router config, then maybe you should use the
m0n0wall in bridging mode (with the patch), so you will not loose your
precious public IP's in an unusable subnet outside your firewall.

To stop people from using a non-assigned but valid address, the only thing
you can do is block all traffic in firewall rules for these adresses, but
that wouldn't prevent a user from 'stealing' a registered address from
somebody else (who'se PC is off for example). A switch supporting VLANs
would help, but then again, it would get a mess to maintain. Another
solution is PPTP, but you will need authentication, which you would like to
avoid, as I undestand.

DHCP and ip configuration for the clients will be very simple.
Just put your ISP's router as a gateway in m0n0wall, and all traffic will
find it's way (as the m0n0wall will be the default gateway for your
clients)...

I don't know hpna, so there I cannot assist you...

Regards,
Joachim

website at www.oce.be