[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can connect via PPTP but cannot see any remote computers
 Date:  Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:06:14 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Chet Harvey wrote:

> Isn't the issue here that NetBIOS is non-routable so you wouldn't see them in
> network neighborhood but you can still map by IP. Or if you do an LMHOST or a
> WINS server. You can thank Microsoft for this issue.

Basically, yes, but in all fairness to the Evil Empire, the "PC Network"
mechanism (later referred to as "NetBIOS" after its DOS API) originated
with IBM, not Microsoft.  Of course Microsoft "embraced and
extended" it. :-)

> Quoting Bryan Kohlstedt <bk at aventuremail dot com>:
> >
> > Is there a reason you need to use network neighborhood? The reason I ask is
> > what I usually do is to just use a net use command and map whatever drive I
> > need once I'm connected. I know this isn't a solution for every application.
> >
> > I would say switch back to having your pptp clients and lan in the same ip
> > scheme and give mapping drives a try (if it's a valid solution for your
> > situation).

They don't need to be in the same subnet for that, and putting different
physical networks in the same subnet screws up *all* routing.  If you
absolutely *must* do that, Proxy ARP can sort of kludge around it, but it
still doesn't make broadcasts work, so you still don't get NetBIOS
broadcast-dependent services (like "easy" browsing and "easy" name
resolution).

NetBIOS was designed to work on a single physical broadcast-capable
network, period.  Anything else needs extra work.

					Fred Wright