[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Stearne <mstearne at entermix dot com>
 To:  <bk at aventuremail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Another Soekris Alternative Idea
 Date:  Fri, 9 Jul 2004 23:06:36 -0400
On Jul 9, 2004, at 7:57 PM, Bryan Kohlstedt wrote:

> Any thoughts on this:
> http://www.synertrontech.com/proddetail.asp-productno=1U
> -860A&categoryname=Server+System+Solution.htm
>
> The 533mhz fanless with 3 realtek nics is the same price as a soekris
> 4801. One of the things I like about it is the rackmount case. In
> additional, the processor is faster. The only thing is I don't know
> how 533mhz vs 4801+encryption accelerator would come out. There's no
> possibility in adding on such a card with the synertrontech board.
>
> Any thoughts on compatibility? Any other thoughts?

What is the price of it? Its hard to find on the site.  I would like to
see it a little smaller, though that's not a big deal for indoor
installations.  One good thing about the Soekris is that you can do
POE, it doesn't look possible for this unit. I think the 533MHz would
make up for the encryption accelerator, but I don't really need the
encryption anyway.  On the other hand I do like the fact that you can
easily add a hard disk into it later on if you want to add a proxy
cache or a RADIUS server onboard.

Michael